UP Diliman

Foreign Admission


  1. General Requirements. A foreign applicant who graduated from a high school abroad and has not enrolled in college may be admitted to the freshman class if he meets the following requirements:
    1. Completion of high school program in the country where he had his secondary education (includes completion of a one- or two-year pre-university education in a country where such is a prerequisite for admission to a bachelor’s degree program)
    2. Qualifying in a college-qualifying national or international foreign-administered examination such as General Certificate of Education (GCE) Examination and the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or equivalent examination:
      • GCE: 3 ordinary level passes and 2 advanced level passes
      • SAT: minimum total score of 1200 in Critical Reading (Verbal) and Math
      • International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
    3. In the case of an applicant whose native language or whose medium of instruction in the secondary school is not English, a minimum score of 500 (if paper based), or 173 (if computer based) or 61 (if Internet based) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Information about this test, including the places and the dates of administration may be obtained by writing directly to TOEFL, Educational Testing Service, Princeton, New Jersey 08540, USA or e-mail at www.ets.org/toefl. The applicant must request that a copy of his scores be sent to the Office of the University Registrar, UP Diliman, Quezon City 1101 Philippines. The UP Institution Code for TOEFL is 0978.
  2. Filipino high school graduates from abroad
    A Filipino who graduated from a secondary school abroad applying for freshman admission to the University must satisfy the same requirements as those for foreign students.Deadline for Filing of ApplicationsTo have ample time to secure his student visa and make necessary arrangements, if accepted for admission, foreign applicants are urged to file their application for admission at least six (6) months prior to registration of the semester applied for.
  3. UP College Admission Test. A graduate from high school abroad who fails to satisfy the requirements for automatic admission (i.e., Item 2 under General Requirements) may take the UP College Admission Test (UPCAT).This test is given in August at designated test centers in the Philippines. The UPCAT consists of subtests in language proficiency, reading comprehension, mathematics, and science. The UPCAT is in English and Filipino. Application forms are available two months before the examination.
  4. Advanced Placement Examination (APE) New freshmen who qualify for and pass the prescribed advance placement examination in basic courses in the freshman year such as the languages, College Algebra, Plane Trigonometry, etc., within one (1) year of their enrollment in the University, shall be given credit for the corresponding subjects in their academic program provided that this privilege is not given for more than six (6) units in any one discipline. These examinations are usually scheduled two (2) weeks before the advance freshmen registration every first semester.Application forms and other information regarding advanced placement examinations in Math may be obtained from the Office of the College Secretary of the College of Science.Holders of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma/certificate may apply for advanced credit for certain subjects they have taken. However, the total credit that may be granted, including automatic credit, shall not exceed 15 units per subject area.
  5. Proficiency Examination in Physical Education (PEPE)
    Proficiency Examinations (or credit by examination) in PE courses are given to enable students who are already skillful in one (1) or more sports to acquire advance units in PE. Any student who passes a PEPE shall be given credit for the corresponding PE course. Students may take proficiency examination in one (1) or more courses to meet the PE requirements. The examination is given twice a year, i.e., before the start of every semester.A student who is graduating at the end of a given semester but who failed to enroll in a required PE course may take a special proficiency examination upon presentation of a certificate of candidacy for graduation from his/her College Secretary. The fee for the special PEPE is double the regular fee.Proficiency examinations may be taken in the following areas:

    1. Team sports: baseball, basketball, floor ball, futsal, soccer, softball, touch rugby, volleyball;
    2. Individual sports: archery, duck-pin bowling, ten-pin bowling, ice skating, power lifting, rifle/pistol marksmanship, track and field, weight traning;
    3. Dual sports: badminton, fencing, table tennis, tennis;
    4. Martial arts: aikido, arnis, judo, karate, taekwondo,
    5. Dance: ballet, modern dance, modern jazz, Philippine folk dance, social dance, street dance, tap dance;
    6. Aquatics: skin diving, swimming;
    7. Fitness: aerobics, running, tai-chi, walking;
    8. Theory: PE1;
    9. Alternative activity: sports wall climbing
  6. Application for Deferment of EnrollmentA qualified freshman applicant who, for a valid reason, cannot enroll during the semester originally applied for may apply for deferment of enrollment to the succeeding semester by writing to the University Registrar. Such applicant must not have taken any academic college subject prior to enrollment.

Foreign Transfer Students



Requirements for Submission

Immigration Requirements

Applying for a Student Visa

Application for Conversion to Student Visa