Non-degree student with credit

A non-degree student is one who is enrolled for credit but does not follow an organized program of study. He/she is either a degree holder or an undergraduate student not currently enrolled in any other institution of higher learning and who satisfies appropriate requirements for admission to the University at the graduate and/or undergraduate levels. He/she shall not be allowed to enroll for more than one (1) semester, except by special permission of the Dean of the college concerned and the University Registrar.

Since he/she does not follow any organized program of study, a non-degree student is not a prospective candidate for graduation for any degree in the University.

Non-major with credit

A non-major is a student dismissed from his/her respective college, but not from the University, for failure to meet the retention requirements including grade point average or number of units passed. His/her advising shall remain with his/her respective college, through the College Secretaries, until he/she has transferred to another college. He/she shall also be assessed/counseled by the Office of Counseling and Guidance.
However, a student can be a non-major only for one (1) year, during which time, he/she is expected to seek admission to another college. Units earned as non-major can be credited towards the new degree program to which the student will be readmitted.

Cross-registrant with credit

A cross-registrant is a student who enrolls in a unit in UP Diliman for a specific period of time but is primarily enrolled in his/her home unit in UP Diliman or in another UP Constituent University or in another institution of higher learning. Such enrollment is subject to the approval of the Deans of the home and the accepting units/colleges.

Special Student without credit

A special student is one who is not earning formal academic credit for his/her work.

A student, even if he/she does not fully satisfy the entrance requirements, may be admitted as a special student and may enroll in such subjects for which, in the opinion of the instructor and the Dean, he/she has the necessary background knowledge and ability to pursue profitably. They shall not be allowed to enroll for more than nine (9) units a semester or to register for more than two (2) years, except by special permission of the Dean. They are not earning formal academic credit.
However, subjects taken even though without credit may be reported at the end of each semester as “satisfactory” or “unsatisfactory” (138th UC Meeting: 11 September 1937).

A special student pays the same fees as regular students. They may register at any time without the payment of a fine for late registration, subject to other regulations of the University. They may register for particular subjects within a semester when permissible under the system of instruction adopted by the college.

Last Updated: 11 Nov 2022