Outstanding paper presenters can get a chance to participate in a four-day, all-expenses-paid study tour to Japan on 15–18 April 2019 (tentative). The deadline of application is on 8 March 2019.
1. Fill out this application form.
2. Send a Zip file (.zip) containing PDF files of the following to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ο One-page letter with school letterhead from the professor for whose course the paper was written. It should recommend the study and attest to student’s authorship and its status as an unpublished research. File name should be: “Recommendation Letter – Last Name, First Name” e.g., “Recommendation Letter – Peralta, Amy”
ο Two soft copies of the research paper
♦ File name of the first copy must have “Actual Copy” and include the title of the paper, e.g. “Actual Copy – Politics of Japanese Pop Music.” This copy should state at least your name and school.
♦ File name of the second copy must be [Review Copy – Title of Paper], e.g. “Review Copy – Politics of Japanese Pop Music.” To ensure a fair, blind review, this copy must not indicate your name, school, course, etc.
3. For applicants below 18 years old:
♦ Signed letter of consent from both parents/guardian(s) permitting the student to join the research competition and allow him/her to submit the necessary information to process application.
4. Authors of shortlisted papers will be emailed by 12 March 2019.
Please follow instructions to help ease the collecting/collating process. The organizers reserve the right to disqualify late, incomplete or improperly formatted applications.
1. Authors of shortlisted papers must be ready to show (or send) the organizers the following:
• School ID
• Any valid ID indicating date of birth
• Proof of enrollment in current semester (any of the following):
◊ Validation sticker on school ID indicating enrollment,
◊ Signed/validated enrollment form, OR
◊ Letter from the Office of Admissions/Registrar/College Secretary, or equivalent office.
2. Finalists will give a 15-minute presentation of their research on 16 March 2019 at the UP Asian Center, QC. The presentations will be open to the public. No presentation means ineligibility for the study tour. Presentations by proxies are not allowed.
3. Two (2) undergraduate and two (2) graduate finalists will take part in the study tour. The students are solely responsible for ensuring that their passport has six-months validity as of 15-18 April 2019. Winners may not transfer their slots to another student.
Only the authors and presenters of the winning papers can take part in the study tour. It includes four-day stay in Japan, accommodations, and roundtrip airfare to/from Manila-Japan. The students will also visit academic institutions in Japan, and interact with Japanese scholars and researchers. Upon returning to the Philippines, they will be debriefed in May 2019.The Japan Foundation will provide additional details on the travel requirements, including visa processing.
The research competition aims to encourage Japan-related research among Filipino students, to disseminate knowledge and exchange perspectives on Japanese Studies. It is organized by the Asian Center and Japan Foundation, Manila.
For queries, please use this inquiry form: bit.ly/studytourquestion