The UPD Asian Center and the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in the Philippines welcome applications for a free batik-making workshop on 11 February 2020, 9 am to 3 pm, at Asian Center, UP Diliman, QC. Batik-making supplies will be supplied by the trainer(s).
Application Guidelines and Requirements
- Fill out this online application form
- Send a PDF combining your CV and letter of application to email@example.com. The CV should come first, followed by the letter. File name should be in the following format [Last Name, Given Name]. For example, Morales, Jerry.pdf. The letter should explain your background and your motivations in joining the workshop. It should be addressed to the Organizing Committee, Batik-Making Workshop, Asian Center, University of the Philippines Diliman.
- To help ensure your application will be included in the screening process, please use “Batik Workshop 2020” in the subject line. This is for email filters.
- Incomplete applications will not be screened.
- Accepted applicants will be notified on or before 7 February 2020 through the email address provided. Later on, they will also be asked to bring/send additional requirements and informed of guidelines for clothing, etc.
Deadline of Applications: 3 February 2020, 5:00 pm
“Batik is dyed by proud craftspeople who draw designs on fabric using dots and lines of hot wax, which resists vegetable and other dyes and therefore allows the artisan to colour selectively by soaking the cloth in one colour, removing the wax with boiling water and repeating if multiple colours are desired. The wide diversity of patterns reflects a variety of influences….Often handed down within families for generations, the craft of batik is intertwined with the cultural identity of the Indonesian people and, through the symbolic meanings of its colours and designs, expresses their creativity and spirituality.” (UNESCO n.d.)